9.05.2010

Refining site keyword relevance

As I mentioned in my post of two weeks ago, Google Webmaster Tools displays, in order of frequency, the keywords that Google search has identified in the collection of indexed pages from a website. For this microEnterprise blog site Google considered the keywords August and July to be significant, listing them each in the top thirty results; 28th and 30th in rank respectively. These months appeared so frequently because I had set the post date format and the archive list format to show date in a verbose format. Nearly all the posts on this blog (89 of 104) so far were posted in those two summer months.

I decided I did not want the dates for posts to affect keyword significance or search results, because of their irrelevance to the content of the posts. I changed the date format displays from verbose to numeric.  After nearly two weeks the offending names have dropped from 28th to 31st, and 30th to 38th.  I expect that they will continue to drop further as Google proceeds to re-index the various individual post pages over time.

No comments: